Tuesday, September 14, 2010

$3.52 of Alone Time!

Some people might think I have completely lost my mind when I spontaneously took my seven-year-old son Henry out to the 7-Eleven at 9:45pm at night on a school night. But what those naive onlookers don't release is that I promised my very sensitive, mommy-centered son "alone time" last week and completely forgot or hoped that Henry had. Apparently he didn't.

When I went to kiss Henry good night this evening, I noticed he was crying. Of course, I had no idea why until I serendipitously put my hand under his pillow as I went to comfort him and found a note. A hand written note from Henry that read, "2 days intil allon time." I was affected to say the very least. I felt so sad that my little boy had kept this reminder under his pillow with great anticipation and after days of patience, broke down in tears because Mommy had forgotten her promise.

Anyone who has multiple children knows that it is difficult to juggle the needs of each individual child. Giving equally doesn't always mean 10 minutes for each kid. My kids all need differently and it is my job to determine when and how long they need time alone with me. It can be a complicated and emotional tug-of-war trying to do right by my children, but I do the best I can. Tonight I found out how imperfect and tired I had become with the task.

I wiped Henry's tears away as the clock ticked past 9:45pm and said, "Let’s do it right now. Lets take that alone time together. It's not too late." He was surprised but happy. So off we went into the night, Henry in his pajamas, me with no makeup and a sports bra. We hopped into the car and hit one of our favorite places together. 24/7-Eleven. We split a DELICIOUS Reese's Peanut Butter Cup and he got a lemonade and glazed donut. That's right sugar...and more sugar at 10pm on a school night. But my son grinned with a knowing that he was special to mommy...he smiled knowing that he doesn't always have to share mommy with his siblings.

My son Henry is my heart. When I saw him in distress tonight, my heart weakened and when I saw him singing along with our favorite song on the radio while we drove home, my heart was filled with happiness. The moral...listen to your children...they need you sometimes when you least suspect it...surprise them with your ability to bend without breaking.

Happy Thoughts, my Henry. Sweet dreams!

1 comment:

  1. I love that story! (And I'm happy you guys got to indulge in something PEANUT BUTTER for once!) :) xo.

    ReplyDelete