Saturday, May 14, 2011

Channeling the Past

I just wanted to share a special moment with you that really touched my heart and at the same time gave me pause.

I went on the Beth Tfiloh 2nd grade field trip to the Lloyd Street Synagogue yesterday. It was a beautiful day and I was with my son, Henry. He and his classmates were excited for the day, and so was I. When we arrived at the historic synagogue, we were bombarded by historical facts and lessons of our past, some too cumbersome for their little minds to take at times. There was no shortage of whining or boredom by the middle of the first leg of this trip, the kids were ready to run and play which you generally expect from 8 year old children. But just as their demeanors where beginning to wane on the chaperones and the docent, a beautiful moment presented itself and catapulted us from 2011 to 1845 and beyond. The children were asked to sing in the old sanctuary, and in unison, without hesitation, the young, pure voices reached back to a time where what could have been the same innocent voices rose to the air in the very same rafters. It truly brought the meaning of Judaism back to our hearts and minds. The prayer they sang together revived our belief in one voice for one nation...today, tomorrow and always. It was quite a moment...one I will always cherish.

1 comment:

  1. That is so cute, my son Ethan is in the first row, thanks for sharing! Ron

    ReplyDelete