Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Thankful for Second Chances!


Jenny & Henry (2003)

As I tucked my young son Henry into bed a few nights ago, I told him that I loved him deeply and unconditionally…and asked him the same questions I always ask, “how was your day?,” “is there anything you need to talk about?” I know that he had been plagued with the stress of school work and tests for a few days, but he said to me, “It hasn’t been a great week mom, but like you always say, tomorrow brings the chance of a better day.” My proud mother light bulb immediately, albeit discretely, went off as I affirmed that he was so right, and I was so happy that he had that kind of perspective on life.  
 
So, I decided to use this experience to really contemplate what it is that makes me truly thankful on this day of thoughtful reflection. I decided to stray ever so slightly from the obvious, my children, family, health, happiness and, instead, go with what resonates so fiercely at this moment in my life.
Jenny & Henry (2007)
This 2014 Thanksgiving, I am thankful for second chances. Third and fourth ones, too. I am thankful to have that second chance to:

#1: Learn from a bad parenting moment and show my children that resilience means forgiveness, remorse, and hope.

#2: Do better, work harder, and show my colleagues that they made the right choice to put their trust in my ability.

#3: Be there for my friends when they need me. I am grateful for all the chances to matter in their lives. 

#4: Make the perfect brisket for Shabbos dinner.

#5: Be a patient and understanding sister that stops to just listen.
Jenny & Henry (2014)

#6: Find my loveable, yet mischievous little beagle the second time he got out of the yard.

There is something very special about second chances, you remember them. You savor them. You count yourself lucky. I will never forget my most cherished second chance. It happened 18 months after losing my beloved first baby, almost 12 years ago, when I saw my perfectly beautiful, loving, thoughtful son Henry come into the world. He was my proof that second chances can happen, will happen, and do happen if you believe in what is possible for yourself and your life. I am blessed…and so grateful for all the many chances that I have been afforded. May all my friends and family be blessed with the same good fortune. Happy Thanksgiving.

Best 2nd, 3rd, and 4th chances (2006)
(2014) 




No comments:

Post a Comment