People think I am crazy when I tell them that I just got 32
new baby chicks to raise in my garage for a local farm. I am newly divorced
raising my three kids, Henry, 10, Audrey, 8 and Stanley, 7, working full time with
a new, 9-month-old beagle puppy. My decision was a simple one. The Pearlstone
Center wanted to replenish their stock, didn’t have the resources and asked me
to do it. I felt honored to be the steward and my children have had a long
history of helping out at the farm and raising our own chickens. It seemed like
a natural fit.
We got the chickens on Thursday evening around 6pm. They were
vibrant and varied and chirping with delight. Tucked away in the hand-built
coop made by the Pearlstone in my garage, my children sat for hours caring for
the newborn chicks. There was a joy in the eyes of my children as they saw all
the new life flittering about. Each chick began to take on its own personality
even in those first few moments. Like a newborn child, the chicks awakened
hopes and dreams in my own children, and it was beautiful to watch it unfold.
As in life, there are always some hurdles which we face and
learn to cope. Amid all the healthy chicks, stood one failing, without the
ability to walk, drink or hold its head high. As an adult, I knew this one
solitary chick would not survive the night, but my daughter held out hope.
Audrey held the sick baby chick in her hand for almost two hours. Trying her
best to nurse it back to life, she fed it and gave it water. After two hours,
it was my turn to watch over my own chicks, so I called my children in for a
quick dinner break. When my children returned to their new charges, sadly the
sick, weak chick had passed away.
Audrey came to tell me the news. She was sad, she felt she had
failed to save the one she loved so well for so many hours. I held Audrey and
used the experience to teach her what I could about life and how unexpected,
uncontrollable things sometimes happen, but no one is to blame. We move past
the sad, difficult moments, but try to understand that we cannot control the
things we cannot control. We must stay strong for the other 31 chicks that needed
our help to survive. Audrey showed her resilience in those moments of
understanding. And as her mother, I saw a strong, compassionate, deeply
sensitive, yet mature little woman blossoming in front of my eyes.
So when people ask me why I take these challenges on in my
life, my answer: because it gives me a chance to watch my children grow in a
way that gives me hope, courage and strength that they will survive a world
that can be hard and beautiful all at the same time.
As the chickens grow, so will my children and their spirits.
Until next week…happy thoughts…


No comments:
Post a Comment