The Dansicker family has a new addition. Born July 15, 2012,
our 8-week-old puppy, Copper, is a gentle, little Lemon Beagle with
quite a howl.
My children and I have wanted a dog for some time, but up until now, I have never been able to entertain the idea because my husband was allergic. Well, circumstances have opened up new possibilities and Sunday, we purchased our new family member.
It wasn’t a spontaneous decision by any means. We have been talking about it for years, and in the last four months, we have visited shelters and puppy shops around the state. Sunday, we decided to pop into Just Puppies in Towson, and we walked out with Copper.
My children have never seemed happier in their lives.
On Monday morning, instead of struggling to get out of bed and watching cartoons before school, I let Copper wake the children with a slobbery kiss, one by one. Henry, Audrey and Stanley sprung out of bed and put their school uniforms on in a frenzy so they could walk their new puppy. I realize the novelty will diminish in the weeks ahead, but it was a moment that gave me great pleasure.
Now, I am somewhat dreading the task of potty-training the dog. With the help of a few books, tips from the shop and my fleeting knowledge from my childhood pets, I hope it doesn’t take too long. If you have or have had a puppy before, I would appreciate any and all advice.
My children and I have wanted a dog for some time, but up until now, I have never been able to entertain the idea because my husband was allergic. Well, circumstances have opened up new possibilities and Sunday, we purchased our new family member.
It wasn’t a spontaneous decision by any means. We have been talking about it for years, and in the last four months, we have visited shelters and puppy shops around the state. Sunday, we decided to pop into Just Puppies in Towson, and we walked out with Copper.
My children have never seemed happier in their lives.
On Monday morning, instead of struggling to get out of bed and watching cartoons before school, I let Copper wake the children with a slobbery kiss, one by one. Henry, Audrey and Stanley sprung out of bed and put their school uniforms on in a frenzy so they could walk their new puppy. I realize the novelty will diminish in the weeks ahead, but it was a moment that gave me great pleasure.
Now, I am somewhat dreading the task of potty-training the dog. With the help of a few books, tips from the shop and my fleeting knowledge from my childhood pets, I hope it doesn’t take too long. If you have or have had a puppy before, I would appreciate any and all advice.
No comments:
Post a Comment