Bravery is not a word that I think about frequently. I guess it's because it is difficult to qualify during the course of our ordinary lives. But today, I witnessed a truly brave mother at her daughter's 4th birthday party. Just four months ago, this young, beautiful, happy and unsuspecting mom, lost her husband of 16 years in a tragic biking accident that robbed this family of a father, husband and friend.
Now, after months of greiving, she must continue to celebrate the milestones in her young daughters lives. I know personally that in the first year of losing a loved one, we don't know how to navigate the new territory of life without the important players. It's an unknown that is difficult to convey sometimes, but those who have lost know what I am talking about.
With each birthday or major holiday, I hold my breath for this very brave mom, who stares down adversity with a fierceness that is inspiring and compelling and makes me want to weep when I am in her presence. Today, I walked into the birthday party missing my friend and sad that he wasn't there to see his little girl turn four. I was prepared to feel sad, but when I saw the calmness, even the smile on the face of this extraordinarily brave mother, I felt strong.
Bravery is among us. It inspires us to live our lives without fear and regret. It gives us hope each day and reminds us that bad things happen but it is how we move forward that is the testament to our own bravery. I am so thankful to be witness to this bravery every week. You know who you are....we should all be so brave.
No comments:
Post a Comment