Friday, March 4, 2011

Toothy Grins & Baby Hands

I wake up almost every morning with a half naked five and half year old little boy wedged between my husband and me. This has been an ongoing ritual since my little redheaded, bright eyed, Stanley could walk out of his bedroom. It all starts with a kiss and a snuggle good night in his own bed and by 2am, we have our third partner. Now, I know I am probably going against all psychology manuals of parenting, but it feels right. Stanley is my last, my littlest, my baby…and if he still wants to snuggle with mom and dad, I am going to let him.

teeth1Most mornings after I turn over and see Stanny’s porcelain white skin and peaceful slumber, he wakes to tell me, “It’s time for my chocolate milk mommy.” And after three or four last kisses and squeezes…Stanny turns over to kiss a sleeping daddy, just one kiss…informs dad to get up and turn around so Stan can hitch a ride on his back into the living room for Stanny’s morning latte. Relaxed and appreciative, I watch my husband shuffle away with one of the three loves of my life on his back on the way to his morning routine…bare feet, tiny pajamas and hugging his daddy. It’s a sight I look forward to witnessing like a happy Ground Hog’s moment to be replayed and replayed as long as Stanley desires it.

handsThese moments and one’s like these are what makes the ages of 5, 6 and 8 the best ages of all time. All three of my kids have almost all their baby teeth, even my second grader still has a baby face smile that makes me want to keep him this way forever. Their hands are a constant reminder of how young and precious they all are…even when they are doing grown up things like homework and dressing themselves. There are some things that just can’t hurry time.

Though my responsibilities as a dutiful mom are diminishing because of my children’s own increasing independence, I find myself savoring the small things that keep them my babies. A snuggle in bed, a kiss on their tender hands or an angelic smile with all the promise of today. I love, love, love this age. I wish I could bottle it up and from time to time as I grow old and gray, take it out and relive these moments again and again.

No comments:

Post a Comment