Monday, November 22, 2010

Life's Twists and Turns

On this week of thanks, I have spent many hours thinking about the different turns – minor and major – that life seems to have for me. Whether it’s leaving the chickens out to be slaughtered by the foxes changing my children’s course for a brief yet intense moment, or having a small disagreement with my older sister that spirals into an emotional conundrum, we all face bumps along the way in our path to happiness.

But I am always amazed, no matter how frequently I encounter these diversions, at how unprepared I am for each and every one. Maybe that’s a good thing. Maybe I shouldn’t be waiting for the next bad thing to happen. Instead, I live my life taking in and appreciating the good in my life – a spontaneous giggle from my little Stanley, my private conversations with Henry in his bed each night, or the fire in Audrey’s eyes when she is singing a top forties tune at a feverish pitch.

I guess it is better to just expect the unexpected in a way that doesn’t paralyze me from enjoying all that is good in front of me. And when the bad does finally visit, deal with it in its totality. Feel it. Grieve it. Understand it. Deal with it. Then move on from it. I think you have to incorporate all the twists and turns in your life as if they were meant to play a part in your happiness. I know it is easier said then done…for sure…but what else are we supposed to do?

My strategy is to surround myself with good people who support me whenever I am feeling weary. I don’t think anyone can bear the burden of this life on their own...it’s just too difficult to find peace in a world that inevitably shakes you up. So those of you who catch me before I fall, hold me up when I am failing, give more than you take from me…I thank you.

Have a happy, happy thanksgiving…and may you find peace in the company of those who love you.

Happy Thoughts…Jenny

No comments:

Post a Comment